The Agilent 1260 Infinity Evaporative Light Scattering Detector (ELSD), G4218A, is designed to detect compounds in the eluent from high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), micro-HPLC, gel permeation chromatography (GPC) or counter current chromatography (CCC). It is capable of monitoring eluent flow rates from 5 µl/min to 5 ml/min. Evaporative light scattering detection is a universal technique which can detect any non-volatile analyte. Detection does not depend on the absorbtion of radiation and is not affected by the absorbtion characteristics of the solvent; thus solvents which absorb UV radiation can be used.
The detector is controlled via the keypad and digital display on the front panel. Alternatively, the system can be controlled by an external computer using the RS-232 port. The output can be sent to a recorder or data station. The detector includes a nebulizer, evaporation tube and detector head. The evaporation tube is located in an oven to assist in the evaporation of the solvent.
- Model No. G4218A
- Detection: High Sensitivity Photomultiplier
- Light Source: Selected High Efficiency Blue LED
- Temperature Range: Ambient to 100° C
- Gas Flow Control: Manual and computer controlled nebulization gas flow and auxiliary gas flow.
- Gas Consumption: Less than 4 l/min for the Large Flow Nebulizer, less than 3 l/min for all other nebulizers.
- Gas pressure: 3.5 bar (51 psi) typical, min. 3 bar (44 psi) to max. 4.5 bar (67 psi)
- Eluent Flow Rate:
- Micro Flow Nebulizer: 5 µl/min to 50 µl/min
- Semi Micro Flow Nebulizer: 40 µl/min to 1 ml/min
- Standard Flow Nebulizer: 500 µl/min to 2 ml/min
- Large Flow Nebulizer: 1.5 to 5 ml/min
- Rapid Resolution Nebulizer: 0.2 to 1.4 ml/min
- Instrument Control: Microprocessor with stand alone manual keypad or Windows based PC control (see specifications for your instrument control software)
- Operating Parameters Control: Liquid Crystal Digital Panel
- Signal Drift*: Less than 1 mV/h
- Signal Noise*: < ± 1 mV
- Signal Output: 0-1000 mV (Analog); RS-232 (Digital)
- Inputs: Remote Autozero (Contact Closure or TTL Signal); Remote Powerdown Mode (Contact Closure or TTL Signal)
- Power Down Mode: General, Standby, Cleaning
- Zero Control: Manual, Auto Zero, and Remote Auto Zero
- Interface: RS-232 I/O Serial Output
- Power: 100 V / 2.1 A, 115 V/60 Hz, 1.8 A or 230V/50 Hz, 1.7 A
- Dimensions: 10" W x 18" H x 22" D (25 x 45 x 55 cm)
- Weight: 40 lb (18.5 kg)
* Conditions for drift and noise:
- Eluent Flow: 0 ml/min
- Evaporator Temperature: 50 °C
- Nebulizer Gas: Nitrogen, pressure 3.5 bar
- Gain: 12
- Noise: measured as mean value for 10 segments of 1 minute. For each segment the difference of the highest minus the lowest peak is calculated and divided by 2.