The GE Healthcare Typhoon FLA 7000 Biomolecular Imager with FLA Image Eraser is a fast and versatile laser scanner for biomolecular imaging applications including sensitive and quantitative measurements of radioisotopic labels by storage phosphor, chemifluorescent Western blots, and single fluorescence, as well as digitization of colorimetric stains.
Typhoon FLA 7000 delivers:
- Versatility: the system images radioisotopic, visible fluorescent, chemifluorescent, and colorimetric samples
- High resolution and quantitation: 16-bit images are generated at up to 25 µm pixel resolution. A linear signal response over a span of five orders of magnitude gives precise quantitation in gels, blots, and tissue sections.
- High speed: a 24 x 25 cm gel can be scanned in less than two minutes at 100 µm resolution without compromising sensitivity
- High sample throughput: a scanning area of 24 × 40 cm enables simultaneous imaging of up to 12 gels or blots, measuring 10 × 8 cm in size. This facilitates comparisons among blots, and reduces workload and waiting time.
The Typhoon FLA 7000 is a nonconfocal variable mode laser scanner offering high speed and resolution for precise quantitation of proteins, nucleic acids, and other biomolecules. Four lasers are preinstalled in the system: blue (473 nm), green (532 nm), red (635 nm), and red (650 nm). The system can image a sample measuring 24 × 40 cm in 2.5 min, offering high throughput for the multi-user lab environment.
The system provides several imaging modes, such as fluorescence, filmless autoradiography, and digitization of colorimetrically stained gels. Since the system is fast and includes predefined methods, Typhoon FLA 7000 is well-designed for meeting the various imaging demands of different applications.
Applications include phosphorimaging of radioisotopes, and fluorescence detection, such as 1-D and 2-D gels poststained with Deep Purple, SYPRO Ruby or SYPRO Red, chemifluorescent Western blot imaging with Amersham ECL Plus, and DNA imaging by SYBR Green or Cy5.
- Imaging modes: Fluorescence, phosphorimaging, and digitization
- Excitation wavelengths: 473 nm (blue LD laser), 532 nm (green SHG laser), 635 nm (red LD laser), and 650 nm (red LD laser)
- Radioisotopes: 3H, 11C, 14C, 125I, 18F, 32P, 33P, 35S, 99mTc, and other sources of ionizing radiation
- Dynamic range: 5 orders of magnitude
- Bit depth: 16-bit
- Max scanning area: Phosphorimaging: 20 × 40 cm; Fluorescence: 24 × 40 cm
- Pixel sizes: 25, 50, 100, and 200 µm
- Standard filters: IP (phosphorimaging), Y520, O580, R670
- Dimensions: 37" W × 21.9" H × 14.2" D (94 × 55.6 × 36 cm)
- Weight: 137 lbs (62 kg)
- Line frequency: 50 to 60 Hz
- Temperature: 15°C to 30°C
- Humidity: 30% to 70% (no condensation)
- Supply voltage: 100 - 240 VAC ± 10%
- Power consumption: Approx. 0.3 kVA
The FLA Image Eraser is used to erase storage phosphor screens for reuse. Features a 60 minute timer to set desired erasure time.