The O.I. Analytical Model 4552 Purge-and-Trap Water/Soil Autosampler automates sample handling procedures for purge-and-trap analysis of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) using current USEPA methods. It can be used for drinking water, wastewater, soil, and solids analysis. The Model 4552 operates as a standalone unit with the OI Analytical Model 4660 Eclipse, Model 4560, and other purge-and-trap sample concentrators.
The Model 4552 contains state-of-the-art XYZ-axis robotics. It uses a 51-position sample tray that handles both water or soil samples. An optional chiller cools the sample tray. The Model 4552’s unique grabber arm moves the sample vial to different positions that read the bar code (optional), identify the vial type, stir the sample, equilibrate to room temperature, and transfer the sample to the water or soil probe position. An optional Windows®-based software package enables remote Model 4552 operation from a personal computer (PC).
The Model 4552 automates heated purge-and-trap analysis when running soil samples. Place the soil sample into a patented SoilVial™ or, if the Model 4552 is set up for needle sparging, a standard 40-mL VOA vial. Add a stir bar (optional), cap the vial with a lowbleed septum, and place the vial in the sample tray. The robotic arm transfers the vial to the vial identification position. The vial then moves into the heated chamber, where the Model 4552 adds water with one or both standards. The sample then purges directly onto the sample concentrator’s trap. If running a water sample, place the sample in a 40-mL VOA vial, which is then placed in the sample tray. The Model 4552’s robotic arm moves the vial to the vial identification position and then to the probe location, where it lifts onto the sample probe. A programmed volume of water transfers to the sample concentrator’s purge vessel. The Model 4552 adds one or both standards to the sample during transfer. It also drains and cleans the needle, sparge tube, and transfer lines.
The Model 4552 operates in automatic, manual, and flush mode. Automatic mode allows complete unattended operation. Manual mode processes single or priority samples and runs blanks. Flush mode performs hot water and helium rinses to clean the system.
Easily program the Model 4552 through its color-coded keypad. The menu-driven programming displays on a liquid crystal display (LCD), where parameters can be read and altered. The screen also displays functions in progress during the run.
- Dimensions: 17" H x 21.5" W x 21" D (43.2 x 54.6 x 53.3 cm)
- Weight: 80 lbs (36.5 kg)
- Operating Temperature: 15°–35°C
- Storage Temperature: 5°–85°C
- Relative Humidity: 10–90%
- Altitude: Up to 2,000 m
- Sample Capacity: 51 40-mL vials, Standard VOA vials or patented SoilVials
- Sample Size: 1–25 mL, Autodilution capability
- Transferred to purge-and-trap sparge vessel
- Integral filter for particulated samples
- Purged in heated soil chamber while in the vial
- Needle sparge for standard VOA vials
- SoilVial option for fritted double-ended vials
- Sample stirring
- Maximum pressure: 10 psi
- Temperature range: –10° to +60°C
- Coolant liquid: 50:50% mix of ethylene glycol and water, or 100% water
- Gas: Helium, ultrahigh purity, 99.999% or better, 60–90 psig
- Power: 115 (±10%) VAC/60 Hz; fuse: 6A 250 VAC, SB; 230 (±10%) VAC/50 Hz; fuse: 3A 250 VAC, T-type