The Varian Cary 4000 UV-Vis Spectrophotometer is a high performance UV-visible spectrophotometer with excellent photometric performance in the 175-900 nm range, making it a powerful tool for analyzing biotechnology samples with minimal sample preparation.
The Cary 4000 sets the standard for photometric noise, range and linearity, providing excellent resolution across the UV-Visible spectrum. The Cary 4000 is ideal for challenging research applications in materials science, and is the industry leading solution for all biological research.
- Optical Isolation System Provides all the optical stability of an independently mounted, research grade optical bench. Vibrational noise is reduced, as the optics casting is mounted on an isolated system which floats independently of the spectrophotometer cover and sample compartment. The system has also been insulated from vibrational effects, so you can be sure that your laboratory environment won’t affect your instrument’s performance.
- LockDown: The Cary 4000 instrument also features the unique LockDown™ mechanism that ensures you can mount accessories in the sample compartment quickly, easily and reproducibly. With the Cary LockDown mechanism, you’ll spend less time on setup and more time on analysis.
- Plug-and-Go: With ‘Plug-and-Go’™ lamp management, lamps are now easily replaced and pre-aligned, requiring no adjustment. The lamp management electronics ensures that a wider range of lamp designs can be accommodated.
- Cary Range: The new generation Cary range begins with the Cary 4000. This instrument sets the standard for photometric noise, range and linearity, providing excellent resolution across the UV-Visible spectrum from 175-900 nm. Featuring Varian’s new Optical Isolation System, the Cary 4000 provides advances in noise and stray light reduction, making it ideal for the most challenging research applications or as your own primary reference UV-Vis spectrophotometer. The Cary 5000 combines unparalleled Cary performance with Varian’s innovative PbSmart technology, extending the wavelength range into the NIR to 3300 nm. PbSmart optimizes the performance of the PbS NIR detector in real time, providing noise and linearity performance never before achieved using this detector technology. The Cary 5000 can be used to achieve significant performance breakthroughs across a range of applications—from quantifying out-of-band blocking characteristics of band pass filters or measuring the high transmission of next generation fibre optic materials to QC applications for testing of raw materials or finished pharmaceutical products.
- Measure beyond 8.0 absorbance units with reference beam attenuation
- Variable slit widths (down to 0.01 nm) for optimum control over data resolution
- Large sample compartment with precision LockDown mechanism for quick changes of accessories
- Maximum light throughput using Schwarzchild coupling optics
- Minimal noise and stray light using a floating aluminum casting and double Littrow monochromator
- Extended dynamic range by attenuating the reference beam more in line with the sample absorbance
- Nitrogen pumping – separate purging in the sample and monochromator compartments
- Bandwidth: UV-Vis 0.01 nm to 5.00 nm, 0.01 nm steps
- Optics: Double Beam
- Photometric Range: 8 Abs
- Scanning Speed: 2000 nm/min maximum
- Stray Light: <0.00008% at 220 nm (10 g/L NaI ASTM method). <0.00008% at 370 nm 50 mg/L NaNO2 ). <1% at 200 nm (12 g/L KCl, TGA & BPEP method). <1% at 370 nm (0.25 g/L K2 Cr2 O7, TGA method).
- Power Requirements: Mains supply of 85–264 volts AC with 300 VA power consumption.
- Frequency 47-63 Hz.
- Sample compartment size: 6.29" W x 17.04" D x 8.70" H (16.0 x 43.3 x 22.1 cm)
- Sample compartment access: Top, front and base
- Dimensions: 40.15" W x 27.95" D x 14.96" H (102 x 71 x 38 cm)
- Weight: 201 lbs (91 kg)